A problem solver, lateral thinker, pragmatic and sharply focused on detail. Driven by client needs and perspectives gained from being a family man and having over 25 years’ experience in private legal practice, commerce and as a financial adviser and mortgage broker.
What we say about John
A highly experienced solicitor, John specialises in property investment, funding and development as well as acting for owner occupiers. He has extensive experience in the healthcare, office, charity, retail, hotel and leisure and education sectors as well as other general commercial real estate work. John’s experience also includes advising the retail petroleum market and on compulsory purchase where he has acted for both acquiring authorities and affected landowners.
John also acts for a substantial number of private clients and their families whom he advises on a wide range of matters including Estate planning, residential property and leasehold reform matters. He is regularly consulted by individuals, funds, trusts, companies, charities and UK and overseas clients on personal, employment and business matters of a variety of natures. He also has a large number of professional executorships and attorneyships.
John has spent most of his legal career at Bircham Dyson Bell where he was Head of Real Estate Investment and Healthcare Development. He has also been Head of Property at Kidd Rapinet’s city office and joined McCarthy Denning recently from a leading West End property firm.
Originally a Classics graduate and a linguist, John is proficient in several European languages. Prior to retraining as a lawyer, He worked as National Sales Manager of an electronics company before working in finance and tax within the BAT Industries Group. In addition to being a partner at McCarthy Denning, John has his own real estate consultancy and is also Chairman of two charities and a trustee of several others. He is Chairman of Governors and of the Finance and General Purposes Committee of St Philip’s School, Kensington. He is a keen bridge player and a former junior national Bridge champion.
Recent experience includes:
- Purchasing several hotels for overseas investors and leading a team advising on acquisition structure, property, commercial, data protection, intellectual property, employment and construction issues.
- Advising on the refinancing of a £20 million refinance of an office investment in central London.
- Advising on a proposed £12.1 million acquisition in Surrey and proposed restructuring for VAT efficiency and complex Landlord and Tenant issues.
- Working on a number of developments advising from inception to completion on acquisition, planning, pre-letting and funding arrangements.
- Advising a charity on the acquisition, refinancing and management of its property portfolio.
- Advising on numerous asset management issues, renewals, licences and landlord and tenant disputes.
- Advising several generations of a number of families with assets in multiple jurisdictions on Estate planning, and on property and business ownership structure.