What we say about Stephen
Stephen is an experienced banking and debt finance and restructuring lawyer.
He has worked as a partner in private practice (for Cameron McKenna, Theodore/Addleshaw Goddard and subsequently Mayer Brown) as well as General Counsel for two high net worth family trusts with substantial UK assets. He has also previously held the position of deputy head of legal at a major bank.
His clients include UK and international banks, corporate borrowers and issuers, high net worth individuals and family offices, and funds.
His areas of expertise range from acquisition and real estate finance to asset and media finance including all types of debt structures (including bilateral and syndicated loans, conduit programmes, securitisations, bond issues, and derivatives). Stephen’s skill set also includes restructuring, litigation advice, and debt portfolio sales and acquisitions.
Recent transactions include acting for:
- A substantial family trust on its claim against the estate of Kaupthing Bank for circa £1.5bn, the successful court actions and subsequent settlement negotiations.
- A substantial family trust on the negotiations with lenders, possible restructuring and protective strategies and standstill arrangements of a group of companies with assets in excess of £3bn as well as advising on their potential sale.
- A family trust on its claim against an insolvent Icelandic Bank to have various assets returned to it with a value in excess of £300m.
- A managed fund on on the acquisition of two loan portfolios totalling circa £200m of debt.
Previous transactions have included acting for a variety of banks in relation to the financings of:
- A variety of trophy buildings including Peterborough Court, the CAA Building and various other governmental buildings.
- Portfolios of properties in the UK and Germany.
- Opco/propco transactions.
- Acquisitions of operating companies (whether financed on the basis of the underlying property assets or on other assets).