What we say about Rafique
Rafique works in multi-jurisdictional environments on complex value chains in the European Union, North Africa, Central Asia and South Asia.
Working in the up, mid and downstream oil and gas sectors he has considerable industry experience. He has acted for Governments, producers, operators, sponsors, lenders and contractors. He has advised multilateral agencies on the restructuring and privatisation of national owned energy networks. He has a particular practice in cross border oil and gas pipelines acting variously for owners and shippers and similarly in national gas networks. This brings experience in relevant inter-governmental and host government agreements, and the regulation of energy transit and national networks. LNG sales and purchases and access and throughput through LNG facilities are a further part of his practice. As indeed are power projects having worked on independent power projects since their first inception in the UK, and then in many other European and non-European jurisdictions.
His experience encompasses:
- Natural gas and oil exploration, production, transportation, processing, marketing and sales;
- LNG sale and purchases, price reviews and disputes;
- Natural gas transmission, distribution and supply in regulated networks and liberalized markets;
- Natural gas and LNG trading;
- Natural gas storage projects, oil tank farms and floating storage;
- LNG receiving facilities, throughput and regasification;
- Crude oil exploration, production and export;
- Crude oil and refined product sales;
- National and international crude oil and natural gas pipeline projects;
- Independent power projects (CCGT), power purchases, gas sales and tolling;
- Project finance in major energy projects;
- Restructuring and privatization in gas and electricity networks;
- Preparation of energy legislation and regulatory models;
- Bi-lateral and Multilateral investment treaties; and
- Host government agreements, concessions, licenses, production sharing agreements and inter-governmental agreements.
A problem solving and commercially minded approach has been a quality of his practice in all areas.
Having started his career at British Gas, Rafique was made a partner in McKenna & Co., which subsequently became CMS Cameron McKenna LLP. During his career advising on major energy projects such as the BTC crude oil pipeline, power projects in North Africa and South Asia, floating LNG production, shipping gas in the TAP pipeline and working to establish new markets for natural gas have been significant milestones.