What we say about Ian
Ian qualified in 1991 and spent 15 years as an equity partner in City law firms, the last being at Speechly Bircham LLP from 2006-2010. In January 2011 he moved to Guernsey to become the Group Legal Director of one of his clients. This comprised circa 40 companies operating principally as a property development and investment business and health and leisure businesses. He moved back to the UK in late 2014 and returned to advising clients with McCarthy Denning.
Having vast experience both advising as a partner and as an in-house legal director buying considerable advice and services, Ian absolutely understands the legal advice and service that clients require to focus on their core businesses and key matters. Ian epitomises the McCarthy Denning philosophy by actually providing first-hand the commercial and legal expertise that clients require and gets transactions and disputes across the line.
What others say about Ian
“Ian was tough thorough and practical. He is a great and commercial litigator aiding his clients with sound legal and economic advice He acted for me and for my quoted company on a most difficult and emotionally charged dispute. He helped with clarity and determination to get us to a successful outcome: he remained calm cool and collected under fire and assisted me and my fellow shareholders and Board Members to take the right decisions at the right time, thus giving us the best possible result. He remains a trusted adviser and counsellor to this day.”
Robert Burrow, Chelsfield LLP
“Focused, tenacious but intelligent and analytical, Ian is, above all, commercial. He gets to the heart of the matter quickly and simply and always finds the best resolution for his client.”
Paul Norris, Group Managing Director, Ethos Group Holdings Limited
“Ian has worked alongside Britannia Parking for many years and has demonstrated a wealth of legal knowledge across a number of complex corporate and contractual arrangements. Ian always keeps a strong focus on the desired outcome and his combination of commercial acumen and the ability to unpick even the most complex legal arguments, and present them straightforward manner makes him a pleasure to work with and someone we would recommend without any hesitation.”
Brian Parker, Managing Director, Britannia Parking
“Ian is highly proactive and detailed in his approach, combined with a straightforward realistic assessment of his client’s position. I would not hesitate to recommend him.”
Oisin Fanning, Chairman, San Leon Energy plc
”Ian Timlin is a first class lawyer and excellent communicator and negotiator who never loses sight of the objective”.
The Legal 500
He is a highly accomplished self-starter with an excellent track record of saving and/or averting millions of pounds in costs, risks and liabilities for companies and individuals in highly complex, multifaceted commercial environments. Examples include:
- He has led and achieved the successful settlement of complex multi-party multi-insurer construction claims following four and a half years in dispute; reducing potential document disclosure from 6 million to 450,000 disclosable documents and recovering £21m from a FTSE 100 plc, another party and their insurers following mediation.
- He has achieved the successful removal and termination of two unethical directors from a plc, obtaining a High Court injunction for their physical removal and the forensic investigation of their computers, and defeating 100% of their interlocutory applications for reinstatement with the company and settlement of their employment claims.
- He has resolved numerous shareholder disputes including acquiring the lucrative company owning a 50 acre residential development site near Bluewater for clients who were 50% shareholders and successfully conducting litigation at the Court of Appeal to split five landfill companies worth circa £40m.
- He has represented numerous individuals, banks, and companies, including their insurers in negligence claims against accountants, and surveyors; a noted example includes defending and resolving claims against a top 6 accountancy firm for five years.
Ian also established and led a sports and celebrity advisory unit at his last two City firms. He has particular expertise in the field of motorsport. Highlights include:
- Representing a F1 driver at FIA Contracts Recognition Board Hearings.
- Advising numerous circuits, drivers, driver management companies etc on commercial contracts including event hosting, sponsorship, licensing and driver agreements.
- Suing a leading Moto GP rider for unpaid management fees and other payments.
- Advising a food company on a licensing agreement with David Beckham.
- Advising a major clothes retailer on the endorsement of its products by a leading rugby player.
- Advising a well known celebrity chef on various licensing and endorsement agreements.
Ian has also sat on the board of a large (+£400m NAV) and prestigious residential development in London for one of his clients.
He has also been a CEDR Accredited Mediator since 2000.
Ian is one of the most commercial lawyers that I have worked with in 43 years in business. He is a highly skilled negotiator with extensive practical experience and has an impeccable ability to get transactions ‘across the line’ and disputes resolved.”