What we say about Dean
Dean started his career with Clifford Chance before joining McCarthy Denning, and he was also a partner in the London office of three large US law firms.
Dean has a fairly broad-based corporate practice and has advised on a considerable number of M&A deals, for both public and private companies, in the UK, Europe, Russia, the Far East, Australia and the USA. He has also advised on corporate restructurings and equity capital markets transactions (especially on the AIM market) as well as MBOs/MBIs, strategic partnerships and joint ventures. On the public company side he has acted on admissions, associated fund-raisings and acquisitions, including reverse takeover and Class One deals, for either the company seeking admission or the Nominated Advisor or Sponsor. He has also acted on a number of Court sanctioned capital reductions and restructurings for both public and private companies.
Dean has also advised on many financial services regulatory matters including:
- the establishment of new businesses in the financial services sector and advising on regulated activities;
- the need for and method of obtaining FCA authorisation and “passporting” from and to other EU jurisdictions;
- financial promotion;
- the FCA Rules;
- the Listing Rules;
- the Prospectus Rules;
- the Disclosure and Transparency Rules and the implementation in the UK of EU Directives on Money Laundering;
- Market Abuse;
- Markets in Financial Instruments and Acquisitions; and
- providing regulatory compliance advice to FCA authorised entities.
What others say about Dean
The IFLR1000 said that Dean Harper was praised by the client:
“[They’re] good generally, sometimes excellent in Dean’s case. I always felt like he was trying to find a practical solution for us.”
Dean was also credited in each edition of UK Legal Experts (produced by Legalease) from 2003-2010 as a leading individual in the Corporate and M&A fields.
Some of Dean’s career highlights include:
- Acting for Bezant Resources plc on AIM Rule 15 disposal of part of its business.
- Acting for Revolution Dancewear LLC on the acquisition of Dancing & Co. Holdings Limited (With subsidiaries in the UK and France).
- Advising BMO Nesbitt Burns and WH Ireland on the secondary placing of shares in AIM listed Cluff Gold plc.
- Advising a Russian gold mining company on a proposed listing of Global Depositary Receipts in London.
- Advising Carillion Group plc on a proposed joint venture to bid for the contract to outsource a large division of a major public company.
- Advising Serco Group plc as a member of a consortium bidding for the £17bn NDA contract to decommission the Sellafield Nuclear site on the proposed joint venture agreement with Bechtel and Babcock & Wilcox.
- Advising a Russian bank considering establishing operations in the UK on the FCA regulatory requirements.
- Advising SilkrouteFinancial (UK) Limited on its application for FCA authorisation and various business and transactional matters including the effect of the Markets in Financial Instruments Directive across the EU.